Originally I planned to install a Sony head unit to replace the dead Bose unit in my ‘vette but after thinking about it I decided to take things a step further and install an Android car computer instead. This is a bigger project but basically gives me a toy for my toy and that’s what Corvettes are about really. There are some practical reasons behind the decision:
- I can carry my entire MP3 collection to hand (I don’t listen to the radio and CDs are just too much of a pain)
- Built-in navigation through android apps
- Access to any number of other apps through the app store
- Ability to connect to OBD monitoring and diagnostic information
- Wireless and/or 3G internet connectivity
- Almost infinite customization possibilities
- Not forgetting the sheer coolness of it!
The unit I chose I found through an online forum and was recommended by several people online. Things being what they are it was only available direct from Continue reading
I had hoped that my stereo woes would have ended after replacing the Bose speaker/amplifiers. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be and when I woke the Dragon from his slumber this year the stereo system failed to work. The unit lit up but is completely non-functional.
I do like music when I am traveling, especially on longer journeys. So I’m at the point where I want to address this. I have some longer term plans in this area, but for now I just want to do something relatively simple and cheap that will get me by.
I’d heard from a number of sources that it was possible to swap out the head unit and Continue reading